Sunday, October 24, 2010

Little Red Riding Hood



This look was requested by my very dear friend. I think there are a lot of routes you can go regarding Little Red. I thought I'd break away from the typical "sexy" costumes that seem to be all too popular this time of year. I inspired by an old storybook watercolor of this fairytale. Something vibrant, yet subtle with soft, blended lines.





The first and very crucial step is prepping the face. Since this is a costume look you're going to be applying much more makeup than you normally would.

I began by exfoliating my face. You can use something from the store such as St. Ives, or a home made concoction of sugar, salt, or cornmeal. Make sure that you get your lips too!

Next, I applied a facial moisturizer. I like to use Oil-free moisture for sensitive skin by Neutrogena.


Really freaky looking, I know. I promise it gets better.


In order for your foundation to look even and last all night, apply a thin layer of primer all over the face. I used Smashbox's Photo finish bronzing foundation primer. I have very porcelain skin so I like that it gives me a hint of color. If you have redness, dark spots, or sallow skin the primer also comes in green, apricot, and purple to neutralize any discoloration.

Then comes the foundation. I used L'Oreal's Infallible make-up in Classic Ivory and applied it using a makeup sponge. Fingers and brushes also work! I cannot stress the "F's" enough... Foundation First before concealer! After the foundation, apply concealer under the eye and on the lid, on the chin and lips, in the creases of the nose, and anywhere else you might have redness or uneven color.

Finally, powder your face with a light or translucent powder to set everything into place.

Now for the fun part! As I said earlier I was inspired by watercolor paintings so for the eyes we will be making a color wash. First, dip your brush in a little bit of water and then into your first color. I used a shade of medium blue and applied it all over the lid. Then, I smudged it up to the crease using my finger. Then, using the same brush, I applied a white wash to my brow bone and took a lighter blue and applied it from the inner corner to the center of the eye. Blend blend blend! Finally, using a fluffy brush I contoured the eye by making a c-shape with a navy color. For an application refresher course click here.



Next, I took my trusty grey Ulta eyeliner in Charcoal and applied it to both the top and bottom. Then smudge smudge smudge! With this look there shouldn't be any distinctive lines.

I didn't have any false eyelashes on me, however, I would highly recommend using some since it is Halloween after all! Who wouldn't want a little more glamour? If you don't know how to apply falsies watch this amazing video by makeup guru, Kandee Johnson.

For the cheeks, I just took a little blush and applied it only to the apples of the cheeks. I think this gives it more of a doll feel.

Then for the best part, the lips! I used E.L.F's Mineral Lipstick in Cheerful Cherry. I think an even brighter red would have been better, but this was all I had.

Now for the unveiling of the finished product!................................................................



I hope you all like this look. Let me know what you think! If you decide to recreate this look you can post the pictures on my facebook page. I'd love to see it.

If anyone else has a look that they'd like me to do let me know soon so I have enough time to complete it for you before Sunday.

Love, Anna

1 comment:

  1. Anna, I LOVE this! So pretty - really perfect for the look I'm going for. I conveniently happen to have some fake eyelashes so I'll add those in too. Thanks darling!!

    ReplyDelete