Monday, May 31, 2010

Introduction


Ever since I can remember I’ve had a love for cosmetics. As a little girl I would lock myself in the bathroom and spend hours looking at all of the treasures that my mother stored in her vanity. Eye shadow palettes in every color of the rainbow, cracked pots of rouge, and tubes upon tubes of lipstick! Nearly every weekend I would go to my grandparent’s house for “nake overs” and to play dress up with my Auntie and Nonni where we would spend the entire day putting on pretty dresses, chunky and outdated costume jewelry, and of course caked on the makeup. My mom was never very fond of her four-year-old coming home looking like a forty-year-old, but these beauty sessions are some of my favorite childhood memories.

In grammar school and junior high I would try to sneak out of the house after applying what I thought was a light coat of mascara, but was always sent back in to wash my face as soon as my mom noticed my black, buxom lashes. When I got to high school I was finally allowed to start my own collection of treasures and I began to experiment with colors and application techniques under the guidance of my very talented mother. In college my passion has only grown, tempting me to spend my savings on new products that strike my fancy and to spend hours watching videos and flipping through the pages of magazines to satiate my desire to learn more.

Luckily for me I’ve always had a love affair with cosmetics, flirting unabashedly with the different looks I am able to create. However, I know for some the word “makeup” can evoke visceral reactions such as nausea, heart palpitations, sweaty palms, and rapid respiration. That is why I am here: to take you step by step in expressing yourselves in a beautiful, quick, and relatively inexpensive art form. In the words of Gene Simmons, "The makeup is simply an extension of the personality and colors, clothing, makeup all express something.

I am learning to be an artist; pots of powder and tubes of liquid are my medium and the face is my canvas. My tools are the fingers that God has given me. Each masterpiece as unique as the face of the girl whose beauty I am blessed to enhance.

Have a lovely day!

Anna

2 comments:

  1. Anna, you're two posts in and I'm already in love with your blog. Like actually obsessed. Can you help me with a few beauty concerns? I have sooo many questions because I'm not very good with make-up. Stuff like, how do you do a good smokey eye that won't smudge after a few hours? Also, are you going to write about hair stuff too? Because if you are, I have a whole bunch MORE questions. Anyways, this is awesome and I will definitely be using it as a beauty resource. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Theresa! That is why I started this blog, so ask away! I hope I can answer all of your questions.

    ReplyDelete